Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring Chores Fill Warm Late-Winter Days

One of my favorite
places to be!
It's been a really busy week here on the farm!  After, seemingly an eternity of frigidity, Tuesday was a lovely warm spring day.  As a bonus, it has not rained in a week or so leaving it dry enough for one of my favorite activities:  bushhogging!  Our fallow fields are covered in sedgegrass, which needs to be cut at least twice a year, giving me a great excuse reason to get on the tractor.  I had not counted on the reproductive cycle of sedgegrass, though, and kicked up a cloud of seed floaters.  Before I quit for the day, the tractor was wheezing as much as I was!

I had to stop at least 10 times
to clean the radiator screen!
Wednesday, on the other hand, was cold with a biting north wind.  Great for blowing the sedgegrass seeds, but really, really bad for fertilizing the blueberries (Espoma's organic Holly-Tone 4-3-4), blackberries (organic Garden-Tone 3-4-4 after pruning!), and fruit trees (Garden-Tone)  I could only bear it for a few hours of bushhogging and yardwork before seeking warmth in the house.

Poor germination in onions
from 3-year-old seed
Today was a bit warmer so I finished fertilizing the shade trees and shrubs (Garden-Tone), and enjoyed time in the sun while stabilizing a wobbly mailbox.  (Tractors and power tools:  what's not to love about the farm!)  The greenhouse trays were dry so my seven new rose bushes will just have to wait on the porch another day or two!

First to sprout and growing quickly!
The greenhouse is in full swing, although the peppers and a number of the tomatoes are being a little stubborn about germinating despite the warmth, light, and high humidity the greenhouse affords them.  Early Annie and Debarao, as well as San Marzano, varieties are in the "lead" of the race to readiness to plant with Cherokee Purple and Arkansas Traveler close behind.

The chores aren't done, though.  The roses need to be fed (Rose-Tone 4-3-2).  Broccoli should be ready to plant in the raised beds on Saturday, and cabbage early next week. Should I put carrots in between the broccoli and cabbage? Wow!  I think I'd better get that livestock panel to make a "greenhouse" for one of the raised beds.

Hardy currant varieties can be
a little fussy about germination.
 It's been a great week, and I've enjoyed the spring startup chores.  I can't wait to see what this year's yields are.  I hope you are enjoying occasional breaks in the winter weather!

What's growing in your Savory garden?

Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!