Friday, January 9, 2015

Organizing Seeds for My Organic Garden

Sticky notes indicate planting month and ccateory.

Just wanted to dash off a quick post to explain a little change I've made to my seed albums (remember--I organize my seeds using inexpensive photo albums).

In previous years, I've separated the seeds according to category:  tomatoes, peppers, cucurbits, and so on.  Well, this year, it's occurred to me that it would be more efficient to organize my seeds by planting date, planting method (greenhouse or direct sow), then by category.

Organized in this fashion, I should only have to turn pages rather than searching through each category.  I am hoping this prevents my "losing" seeds like I did last year.

It probably seems ridiculous to start planning this early--the thermometer on my porch registered 3 degrees this morning--but there's really little time once the greenhouse season starts in late January.

I've discovered leftover seed packets for a number of varieties that I still want to try, so many that they will not fit in my raised beds.  So, on to Plan A+:  reopen the 30' x 50' garden plot that lay fallow last year.  This time, I really do plan to use the weed barrier that languished unused last season.

I've already planned my raised beds, so, on another cold winter evening very soon, I'll have to create my plan for the big garden.  Perhaps that will make this year will be more productive.

Full seed packets overfill the album
So, while you're bundled up against the cold, dream of warm spring days as you plan your next garden!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!