Monday, June 30, 2014

Cane-do: Blackberry Season Tips

Primocanes need to be trellised.
The first of the blackberries are ready and they are large and luscious this year!  The hard winter killed off about 1/4 of the floricanes, but those plants are sprouting vigorous primocanes for next season!
They won't produce this year, but
next year has possibilities!

While picking the first pint-or-so of berries, I realized it was time to tie up the primocanes.  Most of our canes are thorn-less, semi-erect Triple Crown, but tying-up will simplify mowing this year and harvest next year, while preventing layering.

Tie jute to the trellis wire first.
In previous years I used the soft plastic tape for tying up, but, this year, I am using jute.  It's inexpensive, unobtrusive, and compostable.  I start by tying a 12-inch jute string to the lower trellis wire with a tight square knot:  this allows me to use both hands to control the knot and the primocane.

Gently pulling the primocane erect, I tie the jute into a loose loop (about 1" bigger than the cane), and repeat if the cane is taller than the top trellis wire.

If your primocane is taller than your top trellis wire, "top" it about 6" above the top wire.  This will help it develop laterals and, it seemed this year, bear more heavily.

Your berries can be fertilized during bearing season, but I will be waiting to fertilize (balanced with a little added nitrogen) after I've trimmed out the spent floricanes.  If your fruiting season is dry (like last year, but this year is quite wet), then don't forget to water for juicier fruit.

Any blackberry cane trimmings, especially diseased ones, should be burned to prevent the spread of diseases to the new canes.  If your land is suitable (wild blackberries are a pioneer species in my area), blackberries can be a suitable cash crop.  The yield is seasonal (mid-June here in Zone 8) and time investment is seasonal, but not constant as with annual vegetables:


  • Spring, after the hard freezes are over:  Tie-up, prune (consult an extension service bulletin), fertilize (balanced), mulch with pine needles for moisture retention.


  • Summer:  Water, pick, tie-up & top new primocanes, trim out spent floricanes & burn them, fertilize with a balanced fertilizer, fill-in mulch as needed.


  • Fall:  Tie-up, leave some length on the canes if you're expecting a hard winter, mulch deeply with pine needles.

Do you think they'll root?


The frugal among you will be wondering what I did with the green trimmings when I topped the primocanes:  I'm trying to root them.  I've tried rooting hormone and "sticking" them with NO success, so, this time, I've stuck the trimmings in water and will see what happens.

It's a busy time here in my Savory garden!  What's happening in yours?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!