Saturday, January 18, 2014

Garden Epiphanies of the Cervine Variety

Deer tracks from spring 2013
"Cousin, how high can deer jump?" I asked.

He grinned ruefully, "How high is the fence?"

I've been chronicling my gardening exploits for several years, regaling you (I hope) with my fumbles and informing you with my findings.  Every winter, I try to take an online class to improve the next season, which they have, but I've just had an epiphany (which happened near the actual date of Epiphany) which, I hope, will make this my "turnaround" season.

Just before Christmas, we spotted 5 deer who took a leisurely stroll across the 600' width of our property, just inside the "yard" section where the grass is cut often.  This happened just before dark, and they disappeared into my cousin's uncut field.  Well, this week we saw 7 deer who ambled across the yard, but this time they strolled within inches of my large garden plot (which is about 100' from the house).  Their unhurried pace reminded me of shoppers on a grocery aisle.

Epiphany.

I am heartbroken that
I may have blamed the
tomato hornworms unjustly
for deer damage!
They were shoppers on a grocery aisle, and, my garden was the grocery.  Finally, the meager production of my garden may suddenly have found a partial explanation beyond my ineptitude (which is certainly abundant) and the poor soil (which is a work in progress).

So, what do I do now?  A fence is the most obvious solution, but is also expensive and would prevent this lazy gardener from using the tractor inside the patch.  Would a temporary fence be enough?

Hedgerows sound an interesting permaculture, but would also limit the tractor use.  Would they compete with the garden plants?

Trap crops actually sound like they would increase my problem by attracting more deer (they are plentiful in the surrounding woods and fields) rather than diverting the deer.  Could this work?

So, like it or not, the fence sounds like the most effective solution.  Do you have any suggestions?  Help!

What about you?  What's nibbling at your Savory garden?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!