Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Winter Garden

The first camellia--sasanqua--of the season.
The japonica is just budding.
The threat of near-teen night-time lows last week sent me scrambling to mulch my winter beds.  I've added several raised beds and put in several winter crops.

The garlic had sprouted about 4" tall and I knew it needed to be mulched.  Although not optimal, the lack of hay sent me dashing to Tractor Supply for pine shavings.  By the headlights of my trusty little truck, Jim and I fluffed about 4" of pine shavings around the garlic leaves.  I have not been outside in the daylight since, and hope that will do the trick for the winter.

The garlic has enjoyed warm fall days!
The spinach has also sprouted about 1" tall, but it will have to fend for itself.  Although we do have some bitterly cold nights, at times, most winter days are in the forties, which, hopefully, the spinach will enjoy.  It not, oh, well.

Carrots!

This bed is split between carrots (left) and saffron crocus.

The saffron crocus finally sprouted.
The third bed is split between carrots and saffron crocus.  While we did mulch the crocuses, the carrots are on their own against the cold.  Saffron is a fall-blooming crocus, but likely will not bloom this year.  It is reputed to be a profuse multiplier, so I hope to fill the bed next year.  I'll need as many bulbs as possible since each bulb only produces 3 threads of saffron.  No wonder it's so expensive!

The fourth bed is the original, from which I've recently harvested turmeric.  Although I've given a few tubers away, I'll save most for seed for next year since seed will not be available.

What can I plant that's short-term, and loves the cold?


One topic I'll be researching over the winter is "landrace" crops.  I had not ever heard of the term before this week, but it seems like one solution to a variety of problems with plants just not thriving.

What do you know about landrace farming?


Your helpful comments are needed!  So, not much going on the the garden, which is a good thing.  If the rain lets up, I'll turn under the garden.  I'm enjoying the rain, however and would not dare complain about it.

Many thanks for reading, and for your comments about landrace farming.

What's growing in your Savory jardin?


Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!