Saturday, September 21, 2013

Rain Delay

Turmeric has withstood the dry spell better
than the ginger (left).
It's been nearly six weeks since I've worked in the garden.  Sadly, it's been an extremely dry six weeks, so most of the garden has gone to seed.  Today was going to be the day to get back in and get it back in shape.  The weather was predicted to be perfect for outdoor work--cool and sunny.  Then the predicted cold front slowed a bit and Thursday's rain delayed until Friday.  It was a lovely soaking rain, much needed, but has totally rearranged my Saturday.

No bushhogging or tilling.  The main things I wanted to get done this weekend!

Even if the new pasture desperately needs it before I break up ruts with a disc, it will be several days before I can get the tractor in the field without creating even worse ruts.

I had planned to till up the garden beds and plant green manure, but, again, it's too wet.

This is what happens when you plant White Wonder
next to Edmonson:  orange cucumbers!
The new to-do list

  • Vacuum and dust:  ugh.  But I hear rumors the dust bunnies are plotting a coup, so I guess I must.
  • Update blogs:  well, here's a post, so I guess I can do that.
  • Cook dinner for next week:  what's in the pantry?  Do we need to pick up some good local grass-fed beef?
  • Wind up the hoses and put away the trellises, so, at least, garden progress can be made.
  • Fertilize the turmeric and ginger.  Trees, too.  Blackberries, as well.
  • Convert the DIY Indoor Greenhouse back to a greenhouse.  What else has it been?????  That's another post!
  • Sleep in.  Lovely.  I think I'll go do that right now.
What about you?  What's growing in your Savory garden?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!