Monday, July 29, 2013

Sneaky Zucchini in my Organic Garden!

White Wonder Cucumber
My garden has surprised me several times this year:  cucumbers are popping up all over, tomatoes are finally swelling on the vines, and, ta-da!, zucchini were hiding at the bottom of several plants!

I happily sent them home with my daughter, for whom I planted them.  All of the squash and zucchini are loaded with blooms, so she (and I, and my neighbors, and my co-workers) should be well-supplied.

Edmonson or Sumter Cucumber
With the development of the tomatoes, the tomato hornworms have also arrived, so a primary task each garden day is patrolling for and eradicating the pests.  My cousin collects hers and uses them as chicken treats, but I've just dispatched mine to their eternal reward.  The San Marzanos have been the surprise of the season, with the Rutgers following close behind.  I was a bit worried about my tomatoes being so late until I spoke to a few local market growers whose crops are also late.  I feel some better now.


Early mornings have been surprisingly cool.
The Contender beans have produced almost a peck of beans, so I'll be able to freeze a batch soon.  The Calima beans are just now producing so it will be a week or two before the beans are ready.  The Mandy pole beans have been very slow to grow and are barely blooming.  I hope to have some by the end of the month.

My plan to combat grass and weeds with mulch has been derailed by a lack of mulch.  This means the nutgrass has run rampant in the beds, as you can see in the cucumber picture above.  I need a new plan.  I hate pulling grass, but I'll have to do it, or live with the grass until the fall changeover.  Or both.

Peppers, cucumbers, & zucchini!
Update:  I'm living with the grass, kind of.  I pull it sometimes, but, mostly, just rummage around in it, looking for the vegetables.  Next year, I absolutely must put down plastic!

So much to do--I'm off to can (purchased) tomatoes!

What's growing in your Savory garden?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!