Saturday, May 25, 2013

Organic Gardening: Too Tired To-Do

One blackberry variety (Navaho?  Apache?)
is fruiting while the
Triple Crown is just now blooming.
I'm burning daylight again.  After a ridiculously busy week at work and in the garden, I'm sitting inside on the most beautiful morning we've enjoyed since the heat set in.  There's only one reason I'm doing it:  I'm tired.

I've spent the past two weeks making trellises, repairing trellises (after a night of squall lines and heavy rain), planting seeds, and mowing.  Those are the things I actually did.  The undone items on the garden "to-do" list are:
  • weed garden, 
  • till unplanted garden bed,
  • plant remainder of vegetable seeds,
  • deadhead roses,
  • weed roses, 
  • harvest rose petals, 
  • work on rose petal dehydrator, 
  • put together bird house, 
  • set bird house, 
  • plant clematis, 
  • fertilize everything, and 
  • WEED!
I raced the storm to make repairs on the trellises!
Yes, the grass is already encroaching and the weeds are making serious inroads.  I have a new
The Wolf-brand "Crumbler":
It's a combination garden "weasel" and stirrup hoe!
tool which is great for open spaces, but too big for weeding between intensive plantings.

The Resident Dragon is tired, too, and he suggests a movie.  I have errands to run in town so we combine trips.  Car loaded with the results of our expedition, we settle in to watch the latest installment in the Star Trek franchise while sharing buttered popcorn.  It is a nice break from the demands of the garden.

Soon enough, the movie is over, and we're back on the farm with six hours of daylight to accomplish the day's task list.

The biggest goals for the day are weeding, planting, and watering, and, thanks to the new stirrup-hoe, we accomplish all three!  (Well, we do have some fill-in planting to do, but we're done with the big stuff!)

I'm relieved.  I'm really counting on the garden this year, and this is the earliest I've ever completed planting.  I'm hoping that I can devote more energy to staying ahead of the weeds and the insects.  Of course, that's my plan every summer.
Perhaps a baby Green Zebra Tomato!

It's long after dark now, and I'm dozing off to a cool breeze.  I am still tired, but it's not from mental fatigue; I've rediscovered muscles I'd forgotten about.  I accomplished something today; something worthwhile.  I'm actually a little proud of myself;  there's something invigorating about that.  In fact, I think I'll make that a daily rule:

Today, do something you can be proud of.

I did that today and tonight I will not just sleep, I will rest.  It's about time.

So, how are things growing in your Savory garden?

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!